May 9, 2017
d Trump is poised to increase the number of troops in Afghanistan by 50 per cent despite having called the war on the Taliban a waste of billions of dollars.
The Pentagon will ask the White House next week to send thousands more troops to Afghanistan to break a deadlocked fight with the Taliban, a senior official said Thursday.
Defense chiefs are calling for 3,000 to 5,000 more soldiers to be sent to the country, which will have to be signed off by the President who last month dropped the Mother of All Bombs (MOAB) on Afghanistan.
If the Republican gives the move the go-ahead it will be a massive u-turn on his previous stance on the war against the Taliban, which he described as a waste of money and American lives in 2013.
The President has said during his time in office that he did not want to get bogged down in conflict overseas, and in his first speech as leader of the free world, he said: ‘From this day forward, it’s going to be only America first. America first.
‘For many decades, we’ve enriched foreign industry at the expense of American industry, subsidized the armies of other countries while allowing for the very sad depletion of our military.